A forum for people who suffer from chronic or persistent coughs to share ideas... these don't have any sort of official approval so you try any of them out at your own risk. I've consigned some of the more unusual ones I received to the Oddities bin on the left. I've also listed very simple remedies separately. If you're a sufferer, good luck, and please report back by commenting on the particular posting if you find success. Or just comment to the most recent posting and I will pick it up.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Jenny, UK

As somebody who has very similar problems, but found a partial solution, I thought I would briefly tell you just in case it is helpful

Like you I gave up smoking after quite a number of years and like you I
don't cough when I'm asleep: conclusion : there is nothing wrong with my
lungs: the whole thing is to do with my throat, (which I have possibly
sensitised/damaged as a result of the smoking which is an added trigger).
But why?

When my doctor didn't come up with anything, being an academic I sat down and thought about it logically.
What is different between asleep and awake?
My eyes are open/closed.
I then experimented, and low and behold, if I close my eyes for say 15
minutes during the day, away from strong light, I don't cough either.
The whole thing is to do with the amount of 'tearing' of my eyes.
So that is what needs dealing with.

The second thing is that I discovered that some people do what they call "cry through their nose".
It is a psychosomatic phenomenon due to suppressed sadness. Some people have a constantly blocked nose, others, like me have the constant teary trickle which causes the cough. One person I met had to use nose-drops several times a day until her father who had abused her died, and from that day on never had to use the drops again.

So I declined all lung tests or treatments and concentrated on my eyes instead, sunglasses in the morning, and I make sure I never get cold, even indoors. etc. The only time I now cough significantly is when I yawn a few times and my eyes fill with tears.

I blow my nose a lot, as soon as there is any hint that something could be trickling down. That helped a lot as well.

Have a think and see what happens !! Good luck!

No comments:

 
Top Blogs